Thursday 30 August 2012

PROJECT 62......CHICKEN IN WINE

This is an easy version of the french 'coc Au vine', except that I did not put celery stalks in as my family can not appreciate it!  In stead there of I've put some leeks as I had some in my food garden! I mean, no recipe is set in gold.....make it your own by taking something out, and adding something else......as long as you enjoy the end result!

You will need:
50 ml olive oil
1,5 kg chicken pieces
30 ml butter
16 baby onions(I've used four large ones  cut into quarters, as I could not find baby ones the last time I've made it)
1-2 whole garlic houses(this might sound like a lot, but I promise you, it does not over power the meat....just use that much the first time you cook this!  There after you can adjust to taste, but I am sure you are not going to do it!)
5 twigs of fresh thyme
3 celery stalks(I've omitted and added leeks)
200g bacon diced
250 g mixed mushrooms
500 ml chicken stock
150 ml dry white wine(even on this one I used red before, and even though I know you normally use white wine with white meat, it turned out pretty good, and I even think it tasted better with the red wine!)
25 ml cake flour
150 ml fresh cream

1.  Heat the oil, and brown the meat.  Remove from the pan.
2.  Add butter and sort the onion, garlic and thyme for two minutes.  Add the celery and bacon, add the lid and cook for 3 minutes.
3.  Add the mushrooms and stir through.  Place your chicken in an oven dish.  Pour this mixture on top.  Add half the wine and half the chicken stock.  Cook at 180*C for 30-45 minutes.
4.  Remove from the oven and pour the liquid off in a sauce pan together with rest of chicken stock and wine.  Thicken the sauce with the flour.  Pour the sauce over the chicken and season with black pepper.

This is so good.....you have to serve it with freshly baked bread, as the sauce needs something to soak it up!  Even better the next day for breakfast...or lunch....or in between if there is something left!

No comments:

Post a Comment