Tuesday 7 August 2012

project 47-Samoosas!!!!!

Last week my husband got the silly idea to make samoosas!  He is not a cook....but he wanted to make samoosas!

I've made samoosas once before and decided never to do it again!  Too much effort for 5 minutes pleasure!......Easier to buy them!

After begging me to do it, I gave in!  But making him understand he is going to do the rolling of the  dough!  I had to do the proper way not buying the pastry, other wise I was sure I had to do it again!  A woman should always work with a plan!  Especially if you're the only woman in the house!

So we started....we spent the whole morning in the kitchen for 5 dozen samoosas.....the kids came back from school.......and that was it!.......I don't think he will suggest making samoosas again!

Half way through the rolling he got tired!  But that was his job.....he complained that rolling pins were not made for big hands like his, but I ignored........after all.....there are lots of gigantic men cooking and baking all over the world.....He finished off eventually!

I think we tripled the recipe....

Dough:
1 cup flour
2 tbsp warm oil
a little bit of water
salt

Knead this together for quite some time making a thick dough.  Remember you have to roll this out, so it must not be sticky-do not use a lot of water.  Cover with gladwrap and let it rest for half an hour.

Filling:
The original recipe did not have meat in it, but I added mince.
2 large potatoes, cooked and mashed
2 green chillies, deseeded and chopped
1/2 tsp fresh ginger, crushed
1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped(I did not have and used parsley)
1'2 a lemons juice
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp masala
1/2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
1 tsp red chili powder
salt and pepper
I added an onion and some beef mince

Fry all your spices and the onion in a little olive oil.  Add the mince and when it is brown, add the mashed potatoes.

Now the real work starts!  Roll your pastry paper thin and cut it in rectangles about 5x25 cm.  Keep these rectangles on a wet kitchen cloth as they dry out quite quickly.

Starting at the one end, place a bout a two teaspoons of filling on the dough and start folding your samoosas.  The first two or three will not look exactly you want it, but by the third one you will get the idea.  Fry them in hot cooking oil until done.  The will rise to the top when the are done.

PS.  the filling makes good scrambled eggs the next morning!  Simply throw it in your pan, add some eggs and cook, stirring it all the time.

PS PS PS.....bad photo!  Don't know what the white spots are!  I would not have taken a snap if I saw the spots!  Sorry!  But you all know what a samoosa looks like!

No comments:

Post a Comment