Monday 20 August 2012

Project 53---------candied orange peel



I don't know if other kids like this, but my sons just love this!

There was a time when my kids were small that we really had it bad financially.  Out of pure desperation on my kids' many requests for "a sweetie mommy" I started making this.  They are all teenagers now, but the can not wait for orange season so that I can make this!

I even dished it up as a desert one night for friends together with a cup of coffee, and they wanted to make it themselves as they love oranges!

I supposed it is reasonably healthy as well, as you have a lot of vitamin C in the peels.  Well, the kids hardly ever has flu in winter, so I believe it can be all the oranges and peels they are eating!

You will need about 6 oranges peels cut into thin slices.  Soak it in water in the fridge until you have enough.  Change the water daily though.  With my family I quickly have enough!  I sometimes even make more at a time as it takes some time to make it.

When you have enough peels, cook it in clean water for about half an hour until soft.

In a large pot bring 500g white sugar and 1 litre of water to the boil.  Allow to thicken a little. 

Remove your peels with a slotted spoon and pour into the syrup.  Boil for a couple of minutes, and remove it from the heat.  Allow to cool down totally.  Bring to the boil again for a couple of minutes.  Allow to cool again until it is cold, and repeat the process again.  By the third to fourth boiling session the peels will start to caramelise.  Stir continuously during this time to prevent it from burning. 

When it is cooled down, you can store it for quite some time in an airtight container.  Now that the kids are bigger that is not an option in this household!  They even start to peel the next lot of oranges straight away!

No comments:

Post a Comment