Sunday 11 March 2012

PROJECT FIVE-  HOME COOKED TOMATO SAUCE

The original recipe came from Jamie Oliver's Jamie at home, but you know sometimes you make changes and at the end it is different from where it was born, but it is still tomato sauce!

Makes a lot!

3 kg tomatoes( I used cherry tomatoes)
3 large onions
600ml water
5 ml fennel seeds
2cm fresh ginger grated
about 50 ml of freshly crushed garlic
1 red chilly chopped
1-2 green peppers chopped
5 ml dried basil or you can use fresh leaves if you are lucky to have them around
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
6 cloves
3 teaspoons freshly grounded black pepper
salt to the taste

600 ml brown vinegar
200 ml brown sugar

Jamie used to put all his spices and herbs in a little bag and removed it after cooking.  I have put all the first ingredients in one big pot and cooked it until everything was soft.  Thereafter I have thrown it in the food processor to make a puree.  I drained it through a sieve to get rid of the pips.  I poured it back in the pot, then added the vinegar and the brown sugar.  I cooked it on high stirring regularly until about a third evaporated and it started to thicken.  It was bottled hot in sterilised bottles and sealed immediately.

The first two batches I cooked, I did not put it through a sieve and bottled it with pips and all, as I use this throughout the year in my cooking.  Much cheaper if you have your own tomatoes than bought tinned ones, and much tastier as well.

The sieved ones can be used on hot dogs, scrambled eggs, anything you normally use tomato sauce on! 

Ps. did you see the okra?

No comments:

Post a Comment