Sunday 25 March 2012

PROJECT 16 - MAKING A GIFT BOX

I am the self crowned queen/master of recycling!

Living on a smallholding we have to take all our waste to the rubbish dumps ourselves.  So you learn to recycle if you do not want to go to the dumps too often!  I have a compost heap for the peels, tins are washed and used as planters, containers to wash paint brushes or any other thing that needs something hollow!  The bread crusts go to the animals, eggshells into the garden, bottles used for jams and pickles, name it, I recycle!


Well, I started making these handy gift boxes with cereal boxes! 

I first cut the open flaps at the top off.  I then painted the whole box with a cream base coat to cover all the writing.  Sometimes a second layer is needed.  I then roughly paint the box in a colour I want to use-in this case green, as it goes well with the cows.  I then decoupaged pictures of cows to both sides of the box.  Punch two holes at the top on both sides to string your handles through.  I used red gingham material.  i tied a knot at the inside on both sides to prevent it  from slipping through.  If you want to use it for heavier items, you can tape it on the inside.  For the cows I used old pieces of chicken wire and glue gunned it on one side of the box over the cow to give it a farmy feeling.

With a piece of cellophane or tissue paper inside this makes quite a unique gift box, and you can be sure your won't be the same than anyone else's.

Use your imagination and use whatever you have lying around.     

No comments:

Post a Comment