Thursday 15 March 2012

Project 9 - the hubert squash

This morning my son had a great saying!  Ever since he was in primary school he is playing the same position in rugby.  Not that he wants to, it is just the position they choose him in, year after year.  Yesterday during practise they needed somebody for a different position.  He offered to play it, as it will be easier to get somebody for his position, than for the one he offered to play.  To his surprise he was told to stay in his position and that the coach will make another plan.....
Whilst talking about this, he said: 'You know, it is difficult to be born inside a box!  You sometimes feel that you want to get out, but the sides seem to be so freakin' high!'  I thought this was great as I sometimes feel like this as well, but never had the way of putting it!

Today I want you to think out of the box with a good old Hubert squash!  

I have picked this one from my garden and used the whole vegetable for something!
I cooked half the flesh to make sweet cinnamon-pumpkin last night.  The other half I saved in the freezer for some other time, as it was just too much for one meal. 
 Years ago somebody told me to cook a fresh Hubert's peel the same way that you cook bean-stew.  I have tried it before, but the kids did not like it. 
 With such a lovely fresh Hubert from the garden, I could not resist the temptation to try it again!  The boys were at sport-practise, and my husband visited church members(PS. he is a pastor).  I washed all the skins/peels, and cooked them with potatoes, tomatoes, onions and salt and pepper.  I then mashed it and added some cream.  When I dished it up, my one son asked what it was, and I answered "green Veggies"!  Well, they all ate it.  I got the reply afterwards that "the beans" tasted different, but it was "OK"!   Sometimes it is better to keep quiet!  I did not try to correct them.                                           
I sun dried the pips, saved a few for next years planting, and the two end went to the compost heap!
What a versatile vegetable! Not a single little bit wasted!  Never put your Hubert in a box again!

No comments:

Post a Comment