Sunday 31 March 2013

Project 199.....upcycle an old garden tool

I saw something similar to this some time ago, and decided that 'when I have an old tool', I was going to do it.  To my surprise my husband found one!  He accidentally through the dogs ball on the roof whilst playing with her, and found this on top of the roof!  I never had ones like this, so it must have been there from the previous owner.  What puzzled me though is that we had our roof painted not so long ago.....why didn't the painters take it off?

I gave the whole thing a good scrub and used a kitchen scourer to take off the most rust.  I then gave it a layer of modge podge, and added a piece of newspaper.....layered it with modge podge again.....then a layer of flowery chiffon material, but a serviette can work just as well.....a few more layers of modge podge, then a picture of your choice.  If I did not plan to use it at the kitchen door, I would have used a bird or birdcage, but decided on an almost stick figure with muffins.....

I've cut some letters from a newspaper to spell 'welcome' and gave it some more modge podge.  I jazzed it up with some lace, leaves, a small rose and  some ribbon.  I hung it right outside my kitchen door.  We don't get rain there, so I believe it is going to be quite safe there.  If not, well, then it will be another project!

No comments:

Post a Comment