Wednesday 6 March 2013

Project 178: pineapple topped meatloaf

My friend makes this often.  It sounded so good, I had to try it.  It was good.  You know if all the boys and husband thank you for a nice supper, you know that you can make this one again!

Carien even makes it for her son in Pretoria and slice it in portions before freezing it.  He then uses it for lunch.  Sliced it is easier to remove only what you need, than to defrost the whole loaf.  It is so tasty though, I think a boy will finish it off just like that, but definitely will eat more than's necessary!

I am going to give you the recipe the way I got it, but I only used half the condensed milk as I tried to reduce the sugar levels.  Instead I used the juice from the tinned pineapples as I thought...why waste?

440 g tin pineapple pieces(drained)
30 ml brown sugar
5 ml curry powder
15 ml Worcester sauce

700g minced beef(if you can still find beef only! ha ha!  News headlines this past week gives all the groase information of added donkey, horse and who knows what more!)
80 g oats
1 egg
62.5 ml chopped onion
10 ml salt
2 ml pepper
5 ml mustard powder
250 ml condensed milk

Preheat your oven to 180*C.  Butter your bread baking tin.(I used spray &cook)

Arrange your pineapple pieces at the bottom of your baking tin.  Sprinkle the brown sugar over the pineapple pieces, followed by the curry powder and then the Worcester sauce.

Mix the rest of your ingredients together in a separate bowl, and then place it lightly on top of the pineapples.  Press it firmly.

Bake for 1 hour until lightly brown.  Turn out on a serving tray for the pineapples to be on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment