Wednesday 6 March 2013

Project 175.....gardenflowers in buckets

I love setting tables for dinners with friends.  My husband always says that whether it is 5 or 50....I'll go through the same effort!....I mean....if I have to spend time in the kitchen cooking, why dish it up on a table that's not worth the effort?  Really, then you could have bought some take aways!

Years ago I bought myself about a dozen small galvanised buckets(they were cheaper the more you bought!) and I use them often.  I even bake small breads in them sometimes!

Last night we had friends around and I did a table outside on the deck as the weather was pleasant. 

 
Although my garden looks quite pretty at the moment, there's hardly any flowers.....just many different leaves.  But the herbs are doing their bit, so I made a row of these little buckets in the centre of the table, and simply filled them with fresh herbs, and a rose or nasturtium added here and there for some colour.

I did not think of posting this, but my friend was quite adamant that I should have taken a photo of the table, so I decided to post the buckets.....

Using fresh herbs like mint, thyme, rosemary and lavender gives a lovely fresh smell in the evening breeze, and a few containers used together can actually give your table a calming fragrance.  I brought them in and placed them in 3's here and there in the house, and you can not believe the smell.

These buckets are quite handy to have.  The other day we had a braai at church, so I hung them with colourful ribbons from the roof of the braai area. I added some greenery only.  I even hung them from a tree as well before with roses in them.

If you can not find any where you live(these are originally quite African.  They are normally handmade by people in the rural areas, and you can buy them next to the roads) , simply make your own buckets from recycled tins.  They work just as well.  I have a previous post on that.

Moral of the story.....your table never has to be without flowers......use whatever you have!

PS!  Look at the colour of  the roses.....strawberry and chocolate the label said.  They are beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment