Wednesday 6 March 2013

Project 174.....pickled tomatoes

End of summer spells lots of tomatoes....

I usually freeze some for cooking, make tomato sauce, bottle tomato and onion mix,  eat , dish out, and still land up with hoardes of tomatoes.....

Then one morning my husband asked if I could not pickle them like I did with the cucumbers.....so I searched for a recipe on the net, and got this very easy one.  They taste great, but I don't know how long their shelve life will be.  Anyhow, they look pretty neat as well....

Sterilize your jars.  I only had some tomatoesauce and chutney bottles left as I really did quite a lot of pickling and bottling this season.  But they worked well, and I think they even look better in these bottles, as you can see all the differrent colours as well.

Wash your tomatoes properly and prick them once or twice with a toothpick.  Fill your jars to the top.

In the meanwhile bring 3 cups of white vinegar, 3 cups of water, 4 tablespoons of coarse seasalt, 4 tablespoons of sugar, 8-12 peppercorns and 8-16 cloves of garlic to the boil.  Allow to simmer for a few minutes and allow to cool slightly before pouring it over the tomatoes.  Seal the bottles when they are still hot.

The original recipe had coriander seeds in it, but I ommitted it....and the added some fresh dill in the bottles.  I did not have any, but added 3-4 fresh rosemary leaves in stead.

According to the original recipe this is apparently great squeesed on pasta.  I haven't tried it yet, but is definately going to.  Store in a cool place away from direct light.

No comments:

Post a Comment