Sunday 31 March 2013

Project 196: fairy buns

I got this recipe on a lovely blog after searching for a deliciously looking caramel roll recipe I noticed on Pinterest.  Unfortunately I forgot the name of the blog and am too lazy to search now!  For now .....the fairy buns.....

I wondered why it was called like that, but I soon realised it could just maybe be the texture.  They were very light, and the boys just polished them.  We had the last few for breakfast with grated cheese this morning.

This recipe is large!  I used half for caramel rolls and half for fairy buns.  I got about 20 medium sized buns with half the recipe.

2 cups of boiling water
1 cup of margarine(the owner stipulated not to use butter, but margarine only)
3/4 cup of sugar
2 teaspoons of yeast(I just used one whole 10g packet, with such a lot of flour, you don't have to bother to spare the last little bit in the packet!)
3 eggs
6-7 cups of flour(I used 8, as my dough was too soft)
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt

Melt your margarine and add with the water.  Allow to cool slightly.

Add all the ingredients together and knead it until you're tired.  Then ask one of the family members to knead it until they are tired, then you knead it again until you are tired.  By then I am sure the dough will be done kneading! (The owner of the recipe had some similar instructions!  Although she had steps of adding the ingredients.  But you know by now, I keep it short!  If you want to start with dry ingredients first, you're welcome!

Allow to stand in a warm place until it doubled in size.  Form your buns as desired and bake for 25 minutes at 180*C.  Next time I am going to paint them with sugar water before baking them.  

They are great when still warm with real butter......



No comments:

Post a Comment