Tuesday 19 March 2013

Project 181......decoupage tins

By now you all know that our studies divided into two....a reasonably organised half....mine.....and my husbands half.....Shame poor thing!  He is really fighting a paper battle!

I have tried many ways to organise him....putting out baskets for sorting papers for filing.....containers for stationary......coasters fur coffee mugs.....all with very little success.......all that still might help him is prayer!

Years ago when we planted the first church, I helped him with all the administration.  It was totally disastrous!  He landed up paying half of the expenses out of his own pocket cause he kept on loosing receipts!  I ended up being upset with him, as he did not own a salary, and as it was I battled to keep the family going! 

Planting the second church, it was better for me to nurse and get a secretary for the church!  I sometimes feel so sorry for the poor lady doing the church admin, as she became a dear friend over the years.  I've never seen anybody with so much patience...both her and her husband......especially with my husbands filing skills!....and she is doing it never complaining......some people just deserve wings!  If it was me still doing his admin, I think we would be halfway with world war 3!  If one of us was not injured before that!  Bless his soul!

On that note I made these pretty tins the other day, as I needed something for my paintbrushes and pliers.....for my half in the study!

I used tins from tinned food, and washed them properly to take off all the glue from the labels.  Leave them to dry properly,because the tend to rust if not dried well, and spending so much effort to make them pretty will be all in vain if they rust after a short while.  I have some tins(with cows on it) my mom did years ago that are still in use.  Even when I wash them now, I just leave them to dry on a dishcloth in their own time.  They don't even have a small rusted spot on them.

Spray paint your tins in a desired colour.  I used white.  Allow to dry.

Give the whole tin a layer of modge podge and cover with a serviette or in my case chiffon material.  I had this lovely vintage feel chiffon material with pink roses that I used.  Give it another layer of modge podge and allow to dry.

I've given my tin about 10 layers of modge podge to seal it properly.  Change direction with every layer....one from top to bottom...allow to dry, then the next from side to side....next from top to bottom again.....continuing like that.

I then cut these lovely rose pictures from gift wrap, and added them to the fronts sealing it with about 10 layers of modge podge again.  It looked quite pretty against the material background.  You can do it without the material at the back as well, just adding your picture straight to the tin.....whatever your hearts desire! 

Cheap and easy way to organise a craft room, or in my case....my half of the study!

No comments:

Post a Comment