Monday 3 September 2012

PROJECT 65: BBQ SAUCE FOR BRAAI

We love to braai in South Africa!  We as a family used tobraai on Sundays after church during summer, but now with the new house having an indoor braai, we braai throughout the year.  And every other occation that needs to be celebrated except Sundays, we braai as well!

It was my son's eighteenth birthday yesterday, so on Friday night he had a braai with his friends.  Saturday was officially springday in our part of the world, so the church had a springday braai yesterday.  Seen that we spent most of our day at church yesterday, we had another braai with the boys last night!  Neddless to say....I've picked up the kilo I lost last week!  And it was very difficult to get up for gym this morning!  But we are keeping it up.....one of these days I will change my display pic!  Just watch out!

Last night I made my own version of Jamie Oliver's BBQ-sauce.....sorry Jamie!  As I said before I am a Jamie Oliver fan! So I at least have to give him credit on his recipe!  I've changed it though to what was available and now I make this version.

You will need:
1 heaped tsp cumin seed
2 heaped tsp fennel seed
5 cloves
coarse sea salt to taste
5ml freshly grounded black pepper
a bunch of fresh thyme
a twig of fresh rosemary
50 ml lemon juice
1 whole bulb of garlic-crushed
2 tsp paprika
90ml balsamic vinegar
120 ml olive oil
150ml tomato sauce
10 bay leaves

Mix everything and marinate your meat for two hours or more in the sauce.  I love to do chicken and pork with this sauce.  When you have your meat on the coals, simply paint the sauce onto it every time you turn it.  Give it a last stroke of sauce just before you remove it from the fire.  Yumm!

I do not normally have sauce left, but it happened before.  I simply placed it in the fridge, and used it the next night flavouring mince....Yumm as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment