Monday 1 October 2012

Project 96.......an African salad

I always prefer to work on New Years day in stead of Christmas.  Two years ago the hospital made us this salad as a side dish on New years to go with the 'braai'.  I told you before that we South Africans 'braai' for any occasion!  We even have a national 'braai' day!  This is done yearly on herritage day.  From early morning you just smell 'braai' fires where ever you go!  And if you do not eat meat, you 'braai' veggies or even fruit!  As long as you 'braai'!

I always saw my colleagues eating this salad, but not very fond of baked beans, I did not think it could be nice......until I got it in my plate!  I immediately asked for the recipe from an old "gog"(elderly zulu woman) and tried it out on my family.....and they ate it!  I now make it from time to time.....

Mix together 1 tin(410g) of baked beans with about 4-5 chopped tomatoes, 1-2 chopped onions, 1-2 chopped green peppers, about 200 ml atchar(I use mango achar) and a good dose of aromat(seasoned salt). You can add some black pepper if you like.  Easy, quick and tasty.....worthwhile trying!


No comments:

Post a Comment