Saturday 13 October 2012

Project 103....making clay hearts

I saw this recipe on the net and it looked so interesting, I had to try it.  They made Christmas ornaments with it, but as you know me by now, I love hearts!

This really made a good clay, and next time I am just going to double the recipe and I am going to try and make roses using my cake decorating tools!  I am sure it can work!

Mix together 1/4 cup of maizena, 1/2 cup of  bicarbonate of soda and 1/3 cup of water.  This makes quite an interesting mix!  You think it is dry, then it starts running!.....Place it in a pot and slowly heat it on the stove until it thickens.  Then remove and put a damp cloth on top until it has cooled down, and you can handle it with your hands.  Knead it until it is a good clay.  It almost looks like porcelain!

This can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge until you want to use it.  Just remove it and allow to get to room temperature before using it.

Roll it out with a rolling pin and cut our figures...in my case hearts.  I used a crocheted doily and rolled it over parts of the hearts, and on others the whole heart.  I used a skewer to make a hole in the middle to hang the later.

The original recipe says that you should bake it in an oven at 175*C for about an hour, but I only baked it for 30 minutes, and then turned my stove off.  I allowed it to stay in the oven until it has cooled down properly.

The original recipe said that you can add food colouring to the dough, but I spray painted mine with white paint and then gave it a colour wash with gold.  I then added ribbons and lace, buttons, etc. to pretty them. 

Now I don't have a place to hang them!  I think I'll have to invite somebody for tea to use them on the chairs or table!

No comments:

Post a Comment