Monday 29 April 2013

Project 219...cleaning your top loader washing machine

I have a domestic worker, but lately it felt to me that all I'm doing on my off days, is cleaning!  Nurses are sometimes hypersensitive about germs, but really.....my house is not clean!  I've watched her for  a few days, and realised that she spent hours ironing....sometimes up to four hours a day!  I could not understand why it took her so long, because if I do the washing, I end up with one or two things to iron per bundle.  I then saw she bundled all the clean washing together, and at the end she had to iron all of it!  She was quite surprised when I showed her what to do with the clean washing!  She ironed for 3/4 of an hour today!  And that on a Monday!  She could have still ironed less, as I caught her bundling a whole lot of stuff again! 

Spending four hours on ironing leaves very little time for the rest of the house!  Unfortunately she can not read or write, so it is very hard to write her a programme.  So today I worked with her....and tomorrow I am going to work again with her again tomorrow.....we have to clean properly!

So after cleaning quite a lot today, I decided that it is time for a clean up for the washing machine as well!  Quickly googled 'how to clean your washing machine" and voila!..... how neat and sparkling clean!  I forgot to take photo's of before, so I am just going to tell you.....

Fill your washing machine with water and add 4 cups of white vinegar and 1/2 cup of bicarbonate of soda.  Allow to stand for about half an hour, and then finish the normal cycle.  Wipe the drum clean after the wash.

I spent the 30 minutes to clean the sieves, by soaking them in vinegar and sodium bicarb as well.  I used a bottle cleaner to get into the smallest spaces.  Remember to clean your detergent bowl as well.

I read that vinegar works well as a fabric softener in your top loader, with no grime residue.  Apparently your clothes does not smell of vinegar after it is dry.  I am going to try that tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment