Tuesday 16 April 2013

Project 211: PICKLED FISH

I am so lazy to make this, and after I have made it again, I wonder why I don't make it more often?  But I do think that my batches were too big in the past that it kept me busy for some time.  I have made only 1kg of fish yesterday, and it was not that hard.

I have used baby hake yesterday, but I have used even freshwater carp before as I have some very keen fishermen in my family, and sometimes get these carps after a good days fishing.  Carp actually makes very good fishcakes as well, but the pickled fish is much less effort.  You don't have to remove the bones, as they go soft after a while in the pickle sauce.  With fishcakes you have to remove bones, and freshwater fish has a lot of those!

1 kg fish cut into small portions.  You can remove the skin, but too much effort for me!
250 ml flour
1 tsp baking powder
oil for deep frying
3 eggs beaten
750 ml brown vinegar
225 ml sugar
10 ml turmeric
50 ml curry powder
15 ml black pepper corns
3 large onions sliced
6 bay leaves
 40 ml flour

1.  Roll your fish portions in the flour mixed with the baking powder.  Then dip it in the egg, and deep fry it in the oil.  Drain on a kitchen towel.

2. Heat the vinegar, and add the sugar, herbs, onions and leaves until boiling point and allow to cook for 10 minutes.  Thicken with the flour.

3.  Use sterilised jars.  Add a little bit of the sauce at the bottom, and start layering your fish and sauce in the bottle.  Seal and allow to cool.  When cooled down, place in the ridge where you can keep it up to six months.  Allow to stand for at least 3 days before eating.

I can open mine on Wednesday.......Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment