Tuesday 2 April 2013

Project 202...fake stained glass!

Now this was fun!  When I saw it, I thought it could never work!  I don't think it will last forever, but it is so easy that you can just redo it when needed!

I am a sucker for a glass bottle and hardly ever throw bottles out!  I have to hide them from my husband as he can get very upset of me keeping bottles!  Fact is....there is sooo much you can do with empty bottles......canning......pickling.......gift jars......storage jars.....name it!.....and now this.....

Furthermore I am very sentimental.....if I have received something as a gift, I won't throw it away if it is not my taste......I'll change it in something I like!

A few years ago all my friends used to make gel candles....in those insignificant cheap small glasses....and I received more than any single persons share of candle gifts......the problem with that was.....they tend to gather dust quickly.....so I used them as soon as I got them and when they started looking groggy, I emptied the containers.....and kept them......until I had a whole shelf full of non matching cheap glass containers!

I use some of them with times when I have visitors with garden herbs in them on coffee trays.....but they were such a lot all the same colour.....then I saw this somewhere and decided to try it out....What fun!  I am even thinking of using these coloured glasses on the mothers day tables this year in church!  I can make them in different pastilles and group some together.....oh the possibilities!

Wash your glass containers and allow to dry by itself.  This will prevent fluff from your kitchen cloth gathering on them.  Give them a layer of modge podge and allow to dry slightly.  Then paint it with food colouring!  Allow to dry and give it another coat or two of modge podge allowing every layer to dry properly.

Easy as that! can you think of the possibilities!  And when you are tired, soak it in water and paint it again in the desired colour for your next function!  Wow!

 
Oh yes....I got the pretty purple from mixing blue and red! 

No comments:

Post a Comment