Tuesday 16 April 2013

Project 210: shabby chic scarf






My friend gave me these funny blue thingies some time ago, and I really don't know what they call them!  As children we used to "knit" with wooden spools with 4 nails added to the top.  The wool had to go through the hole and you made a long sausage/worm until you are tired of doing it.  The 'worm' was then spiralled to make circles, and many mothers used this as potholders.  With mostly plastic spools nowadays, people start making their own spools by using wooden cubes with a hole drilled through them.  And then you get these plastic thingies.....they come in different shapes and sizes.  I've used a 12 cm diameter one for this.

I've used a white yarn I had, and although I thought it was too thin in the beginning, the end result was good.  You 'knit' your tube until you think it is long enough.  Then close the two ends.  I then used different things go jazz up the whole thing.....doilies from my grandmother, a crochet rose made by my mom, ribbons from cards.....beads and ruffle wool, pieces of lace, buttons.....whatever you desire.....

I started arranging my finds to the two ends,  and then I strung some of the ruffle wool through the  white pieces still looking empty.  I gave it a fringe with the ruffle wool as well.

I am not very fond of white, as I wear white each and every day I go to work.  On Sunday we danced at church again with white tops.  My outfit was quite bland, so I used  my scarf to jazz it up.  I got so many compliments, that I feel like making more of these!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment