Wednesday 2 January 2013

project 141:cleaning silverware

I love to pick up bargains at second hand shops.  Over the years I have picked up some really good silver cutlery for next to nothing.  I also have some pieces I have inherited from grandmothers, mothers and friends.  Jee, but I hate cleaning them, and I always taste the detergent afterwards.

I decided to use antique stuff  on my Christmas table and had to clean the cutlery.  I decided to use a method I have heard about a lot, but personally never tried it.  I soaked it in tartaric acid with water for 10 minutes, then uses a thick tartaric acid and water paste on some fine steel wool and scrubbed it lightly.  Within minutes the stuff was shining!  I can not believe I have never done this before!  And there is no after taste!

I suffer from eczema on my hands, and I must admit the tartaric acid is quite hard on your hands.  So if you have a problem with your hands, rather use gloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment