Wednesday 2 January 2013

project 140: end of the month asparagus pie.....

Ever stood in front of your grocery cupboard and not knowing what you want to do as it is almost empty?

Well, this is what came up over the weekend as I have not done my shopping yet as I was working the week before and only planned to shop on Monday....

As from a previous post, fresh asparagus can not be beaten.....but for emergencies their pale brothers in a tin are eatable....especially at the end of the month....

How many of you can still remember the end-of-the- month salticrax advert on TV?  It started off with salticrax with salmon and caviar in the beginning of the month....then salticrax with cottage cheese and lettuce in the middle of the month....then you get the marmite salticrax at the end of the month...?  This is almost like that.....

Spread out a roll of puff pastry on a baking tray......add some sorted onions and a tin of asparagus pieces....in the beginning of the month you can add ham or bacon and fresh asparagus if in season.....save the liquid and mix in a few eggs and a teaspoon of baking powder, salt and pepper and some grated cheese if you want to....sprinkle some crushed potato crisps on top of it.....I  save all the leftovers during the month in a plastic bin, and crush it in the food processor when I need some for a topping.  I sprinkled Parmesan cheese on top of it, as my other cheese were finished, but a good layer of grated cheese on top is simply the best!  Bake at 180*C until golden brown......my hubby even eats it for breakfast the next morning if there are leftovers.....

1 comment:

  1. Cool!will try it?You only mention the hubby eating it?Did you kids eat it?If your kids ate it I know my kid will!

    ReplyDelete