Wednesday 27 February 2013

Project 171....sewing a dress

I had a depressing birthday last week!  It all started well with my son bringing me breakfast in bed, and a cup of coffee followed it up by my hubby.  Then my day got upside down after a phonecall, and thereafter everything just got worse....we got to our car and realised somebody must have peeled a strip from it......and my birthday present from my hubby was not what he wanted......and the kids had to go and play sport on a neighbouring town......disrupting  all our plans for the evening...the matches weren't scheduled......at the end we had take aways in front of the TV!  Not what I was looking forward to!

I went to bed feeling very sorry for myself,  but luckily woke up in a better mood the next morning.  So much I even took my sewing machine out and made a dress!  And I hate sewing!  I only do it if it is really necessary!  Don't misunderstand me....I can sew.  My mom made sure that both the girls can do sewing.....actually all the basic needle crafts...except that she had some trouble teaching my sister crocheting.....it is just that I really don't like it!  I mean....the cheap imported stuff you get in all the small shops are much cheaper than the material, yarn, zips and buttons.....and the effort!

But a few weeks ago my aunt blessed me with some pretty materials, and if you have the material the rest of the stuff seems like nothing.....except for the effort......!

I saw this easy dress on Pinterest some time ago and saw myself dancing in this long flaring dress at church!.....Knowing we have dance practise tonight, I decided to make it, as it is so easy I thought we can use the same pattern to make the whole group some flaring dresses in a jiffy.....

All you do is cut two rectangles from your material.  Then cut a shallow half moon at the top to form it  a little to give it a slight neckline.  Sew the sides together leaving some space for armholes.  Give the armholes a mall hem.  Then fold it over at the top giving it a 2cm hem so that you can string a piece of ribbon through it. 

I have cut my bottom with a slightly shorter front than the back that the dress can flow more with movement, but it is up to you if you want a straight hem.

String your satin ribbon through the back and front yo make a shoulder on the one side, and finish the other shoulder off with a pretty bow.


Even my husband said:"Now that's pretty"....and then I tried it on......I felt like a hippopotamus!  I am too short an too chubby for this!  Maybe if I made it shorter!  I think I'll bless my tall skinny friend with this one!  And I am definitely not going to dance in this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment