Tuesday 19 February 2013

Project 168: a twirling garden ornament

The other day my mom, my sister and myself landed up in a shopping mall in Nelspruit, as my husband had to go and find a place to fix our Chrysler window, as it did not want to close after we've been in the Kruger Park for a few days.  We still had a 3 hour drive back home, and there was just no way of driving that with an open window!

So after consuming more coffee than any normal person can on a bottomless account at one of my favourite coffee franchises, we headed the shopping mall......and I found two plastic picnic plates with the prettiest colours at R3.00 each!  I immediately saw them as garden ornaments twirling in the wind and the circles playing on your eyes going wider and then narrowing again.....

It is extremely hot in South Africa this summer, and even here in our small town where we think it is hot at 26*C, we nowadays reach temperatures of up to 40*C!  My friends car thermometer registered 40.5*C the other day!

Even for garden lovers like myself, we tend to keep out of the sun now during the warmest times of the day, but you do get bored watching your garden through the window only!  So I took the plates out of the cupboard this morning, found a wooden pole in the garage, a nail and two washers.  

I colour washed the wood with a purple pain to bring out the purple in the plate a little, as I thought the turquoise would have been too overwhelming. 

I made a small hole in the centre of the plate, and with a washer on both sides I hammered the nail into the wood, allowing it to have some space so that the wind can blow it.  I then planted it in the garden in a spot where there are no flowers at the moment for some colour.  Now I am just waiting for the wind!

1 comment: