Friday 31 May 2013

PROJECT 235....A GOOD OMELETTE

My youngest just loves eggs and if you really want to treat him, you should make omelettes.  I'm a little lazy making them, but everytime I do make them, I think I should make them more often!

I hated home economics at school, but this was the first thing we were taught to do in st 6(todays grade 8).  I only had the subject for two years....it was compulsory!  Today I don't know why I did not like it....I spend such a lot of time in the kitchen now!

Some things did make an impression then, as I still make the omelettes the same way we were taught!  Except, I don't place them under the grill in the oven....the only reason for that......the pan I like to use has a plastic handle!  I just fold it over in the pan and cook them until done on the stovetop.

I separate the egg whites from the yolks and beat the whites until stiff.  I use 2 eggs per omelette...it makes quite a large one, as you can see on the photo...this is only half!

Add 12,5ml milk, 2.5 ml baking powder and salt and pepper to taste to the yolks and beat it all together.  Now lightly fold the whites ito the yolks with a metal spoon.

I spray my cooking pan with 'spray n cook' and then heat a little oil on medium high. 

Pour your egg mixture into the pan.  When the bottom is done that you can fold it over without breaking it... add your filling to the one half before folding it over.  Cook until cheese is melted.  You can place it under the grill in your oven at this stage if you have a pan with a metal handle.

Our family likes tomato and onion sauce, garlic mushrooms, bacon or ham and grated cheese as filling, but you can use whatever you feel like.

No comments:

Post a Comment