Tuesday 27 November 2012

Project 124....Newspaper boy hat

I made this one without a pattern whilst working night duty between 3-4 in the mornings!

I've done it with a tunesic crochet needle in a double knit yarn.

I've started off with 22 stitches and reduced it at the end of each row until I had one stitch left.  I then picked up 1 stitch from the side from every row until I had 22 again.  I then reduced again until I had one stitch left again.  Picked up again, etc.  You will see it makes a perfect circle after a while.  I ended off and sewn the opening together to make a round piece to work with. 

I then picked up stitches all around half of the circle and crochet 5 rows without reducing.  I then started reducing doing two stitches every five stitches for 5 rows and ended off.  I did the same with the other half.  I the have sewn the two openings together   I then used a normal crochet hook and started making the front part.  I used the two hems on the sides to give me an indication on getting the cap right in the middle.  I used normal double trembles to do the cap, as it was easier to reduce on both sides at the same time.  I started wit 20 trembles and reduces at the beginning and end of each row for 6 rows.  I made a second flap like this directly underneath the first one.

I then took a soda bottle(all I could find in the hospital at 03h00 in the morning, but it worked well as it is clear and has a slight bend) and placed it between the two flaps.  I then closed the flaps by crocheting the two parts together with double trembles all around the edge.

I finished the whole thing off by adding a flower to the one side and a covered button on top!

Sizwe(the male nurse working with me) now wants a Rastafarian one!  Eish!

No comments:

Post a Comment