Tuesday 27 November 2012

Project 120...preserved radishes

I just can't learn!  I am the only one in the house eating radishes, but each and every year I plant hordes! 

I have a good book on pickling and cooking whatever you can think of, but not a single thing to do with a radish!  In fact....not one of my cookbooks had recipes for radishes.....

Then I googled it and voila!  Found several recipes for radishes!  Could not believe my eyes!

I made the easiest one......

You will need:

2 dozen of radishes(I used mixed white and red ones)
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of white vinegar
1 tbs mustard seeds
1/2 tsp celery seeds
a twig of fresh dill for every bottle

Mix everything and boil until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is clear.  Add the radishes and bottle in sterilised jars, adding your dill.  Keep refrigerated.

The first batch I accidentally added a cup of water with the vinegar!  I then allowed it to boil until slightly reduced.  I think they were even better!  But I was not so sure how long they would last and dished them out with the command to eat them immediately!  Even my mom thought they were good....and she does not like radishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment