Wednesday 26 June 2013

Project 249....chelsea buns

I got a very ancient recipe book from a family member some time ago, but haven't used it up till now. 

I cleaned my freezer the other day, and discovered some raisins I had forgotten about in there.  Now you might think what the raisins are doing in the freezer.....I hate waste!  So when I make pineapple beer, I always save the raisins, and use them in cooking!  Ha ha!  I am sure this is the first time you hear about somebody doing that!  I just can not think why I should waste such a lot of raisins!

This was my first attempt of making Chelsea buns, as I always thought they are hard work.  I was quite impressed with the outcome. 

To make 12......

280g of flour
pinch of salt
6 tbsp milk
110 g butter
15 g yeast
2 eggs, beaten
55g raisins(I used double)
pinch of mixed spices
half a cup of sugar and a little extra for spreading on top

Mix the salt and flour.  Heat half the butter and  the milk until lukewarm.  Add the sugar and the eggs and the yeast.  Knead till well mixed and keep in a warm place and allow to double in size.  Roll open on a tray sprinkled with flour.  spread the rest of the butter on top.  Fold it double again and roll out again.  Now spread the raisins on top and sprinkle with the sugar and spices.  Roll up to make a roll and cut it in twelve slices.  Place them in your well greased pan.  Sprinkle with a little more sugar and leave to rise double in size again.  Bake for 20 minutes at 220*C.  I poured icing sugar glaze on top with a little almond essence added to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment