Wednesday 2 May 2012

PROJECT 25- BOTTLE SWEET PEPPERS

I did not plan to do this!  When I moved into the new house there was a lot of ripe green and red peppers in the vegetable garden.  You know me by now....nothing must go to waste, so I bottled them.  The end product is quite nice and I'll surely do this again next year!  I used vegetable oil, but next time I'll use olive oil that will definitely give you an even better product.

You will need: 6 sweet peppers(I used green and red, but you can add some yellow ones as well)
                       300ml oil
                       salt
                       4 cloves of garlic
                       1 chillie
                       twig of fresh rosemary
                       5 ml black peppercorns
                       30 ml lemon juice
     
Halve and deseed the peppers.  Wipe it with a little olive oil and place on a baking sheet.  Bake at 200'C for 20 minutes until the skins are black and puffy.  Peel off the skins and cut peppers in thin slices.  Salt lightly.  Peel and crush garlic. Slice the chillies.

Pack sliced peppers in sterilised jars, add rosemary, garlic, chillie and black pepper.  Pour lemon juice over and fill bottle with oil.  Shake to remove air bubbles.  Seal and keep refrigerated.  Allow to stand for 3 days, then use within 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment